Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Farewell Speech as Golden Key's ILC President

When I asked if I could have a few words I was told “Cecilia, you can do anything you want!” So here goes. Like the President of the United States the ILC President has terms limits. So this is it for me. And looking back I came up with the: TOP 10 REASONS WHY CECILIA MANRIQUE WILL FIND IT HARD TO SAY GOOD-BYE TO GOLDEN KEY: 10. In her 20 years as advisor to the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse chapter she has served more than half of that in the highest level of Golden Key’s International Leadership Council first as secretary for 2 terms and as President for 2 terms. 9. She has been to every fun international conference and had been inspired by our motivational speakers like Kyle Maynard here in those 20 years except for one. 8. Her chapter has had the highest ranking – key chapter before, gold now – during all those years except for one – the year she did not attend the international conference. 7. She has served under every ED/CEO of GK. 6. She has as much institutional memory as current ED Brad Rainey and outgoing Board Chair Bill Asbury. 5. It has been a pleasure to provide double diversity (woman and minority) to the Board. 4. I will miss banging (oops pounding!) that gavel at the beginning and end of the 4 now 5 ISes attended/led as President 3. I will miss leading the regions in cheers which I was slowly weaned from at this meeting. 2. I will miss the tradition of bringing treats at every board meeting and leaving them in the staff’s desk when in town. 1. I will miss working with all of you wonderful people – brilliant students, dedicated advisors old and new, hardworking staff members who are here and those gone, and the members of the ILC and the members of the Board who have become part of my “family.”!!! Throughout the weekend I have been asked what will you do now? To Kyle: Not dead! Won’t quit! I return to my chapter to be of more help to my co-advisor Carla Burkhardt who has led the UW-La Crosse chapter without much help from me. I return to my department which I chair for more work since retirements have us in search mode for the next few years. And I return to my family to spend more time with them which they have sacrificed for Golden Key for some time. THANKS, Gabe. Love you, Babe. There are many more countries to visit and more soccer matches to referee. More power to Golden Key as I leave it in very capable hands! It has been a good ride! THANK YOU for the honor and pleasure of serving you!

No comments:

Post a Comment